[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
My Ngala • View topic - Dad finds it difficul to handle child's behaviour

Dad finds it difficul to handle child's behaviour

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

Dad finds it difficul to handle child's behaviour

Postby Tom » Wed 26 Jan, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi
My 3 year old does not listen to me and I find myself feeling very angry towards her. I know she is only little, but I am concerned that I am not handling the behaviour well and I would like to be the best father that I can be.
Thanks again
Tom
Tom

Re: Dad finds it difficul to handle child's behaviour

Postby NgalaOnline » Wed 26 Jan, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi Tom
Thank you for your post. Good on you for working on being the best dad you can be i.e. asking for helpful information and support. Children at this age can display some challenging behaviours at times. Not listening to parent instructions is a normal childhood behaviour, and you are right, how we handle their more challenging behaviours is important. Parents can work on getting their child's attention by coming down to their level, getting eye contact where possible and to be clear with instructions. Children will not always rush to follow instructions as they might be focused on an activity and so it is important not to expect too much from them we might be in a rush. Young children do not have the same understanding of time pressures as that of adults. Where possible, planning well ahead can help as rushing children can be very frustrating. We need to give children time. How do you calm yourself down at other times when you start to feel angry? Would walking away to calm things down for you work? It might help to talk with your partner, family and friends about what works for them. It is all about relationship and your interest in your child's behaviour is great. Feel free to reply to this post if you want more information or clarity.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Return to For Dads