Dummies

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Dummies

Postby NeedSomeHelp » Sun 23 Jan, 2011 9:49 pm

Just a question - I dont know whether I should give my baby a dummy or not. She seems to be a really sucky baby who wants to suck a lot, but my older child got really addicted to the dummy and we had to get up every hour all night to give it back to him. How can we avoid that issue this time around?
NeedSomeHelp

Re: Dummies

Postby NgalaOnline » Wed 26 Jan, 2011 2:08 pm

Dummies are a personal choice, and there is no right or wrong about whether to use one or not. The Australian Breastfeeding Association recommends waiting until breastfeeding is well established at 6-8 weeks before introducing a dummy if your baby is breastfeeding, to avoid nipple confusion.

Some babies will not be interested in a dummy, for other babies dummies can become a worthwhile sleep and settling tool. In order to reduce the likelihood of your baby becoming very reliant on a dummy, you might like to consider only using it on certain times of day or occasions, such as only in the cot, or only if the baby is very overtired and unsettled. You can encourage the baby to suck on her hands other times to help herself settle. By the time a baby is around seven months you can begin to teach a baby to manage her own dummy. To achieve this you can have play sessions during the day where you help her to master the skill of putting it in her mouth by herself. Once she has mastered the ability to put a dummy in her mouth, you can then get your baby to be the one who places her dummy in her mouth each time she requires it. If she cries in the night time you can go and put your hand on hers, help her locate her dummy and help her guide it to her mouth - but you will no longer place the dummy in her mouth for her in the day or at night. This helps the baby to learn that if she wakes in the night for the dummy she can independently put it back in, rather than her feeling she needs you to come and do this for her. It can help to have several dummies throughout her cot to assist her to find one.

It is important to wash dummies regularly in hot soapy water and keep them hygienic. It is also important to inspect them regularly for signs of breakage as a safety measure. Once a child begins to talk it is advisable to allow the dummy only in the cot for settling, to avoid it impacting on speech development.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online http://www.ngala.com.au/Ngala-and-You/Ngala-Helpline/Contact-Ngala-Helpline-Online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
http://www.ngala.com.au/You-and-Your-Family/Web-Based-Resources
NgalaOnline

Re: Dummies

Postby jeanie » Sat 19 Mar, 2011 8:07 pm

Yes dummies seem to be a personal choice thing..i agree. My boy 15 months just didnt seem interested in his dummy really from about 11 months old. He has a cuddle rug instead and he loves that. J
jeanie

Return to Play & Development