Sick, Stressed and Tired!

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

Sick, Stressed and Tired!

Postby Alipanda » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi there
I am a stay at home Mum to two girls, 3 and 1.
Depression and postnatal depression have been diagnosed and medicated.
I have found the experience of going from one to two children stressful, and at many times overwhelming.
We have visited the wonderful ladies at Ngala twice before for day stays, regarding sleep and settling issues. I am booked in for an overnight stay in feb 13 (approx).
My youngest is still not sleeping through the night, and her sleeps are sporadic during the day. She is also going to sleep with a bottle which I would like to address and rectify ASAP.
My older daughter is a typical 3 year old with all the required tantrums, behavior issues and inability to listen!
I have been consistently ill this winter, with coughs colds etc. I am the stage now where I am utterly exhausted, which I am sure is not helping my immunity.
I was called for my overnight stay in late September, which I declined, because I thought the change in routine might have an adverse impact on my older daughter's behavior. I am re-thinking that decision though, wondering if getting the help we need might outweigh any potential problems.
I suppose my query is if I should be requesting that visit to be bought forward if possible and if my family's particular issues are going to be best served by a stay at Ngala?
Alipanda

Re: Sick, Stressed and Tired!

Postby NgalaOnline » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi Alipanda

Thank you for your post. It sounds as though you are going through a difficult phase with your children. It is common for parents to find the transition from one to two children to be a large adjustment and often it can be a challenging time. The workload of child rearing is not just doubled, there are a lot of new dynamics to adjust to such as trying to equally divide your time, dealing with jealousy or sibling rivalry, and figuring out how to deal with competing needs. In addition to this, opportunities for rest and self care are reduced as both children may not be settled at the same time. The ages of one and three are both busy ages with their own unique challenges. It is common for 3 year olds to be testing out the boundaries of their newly developing independence, and this can be quite challenging for parents at times.

An overnight stay at Ngala sounds as though it would be beneficial for you in many regards. It is an opportunity to seek help with weaning your daughter from her night time bottle and to improve her night time sleep and settling. You are also able to have your three year old admitted as a patient at the same time as you come in with your younger daughter. This gives opportunities for you to seek support and advice regarding behaviour strategies for your older daughter. Many parents find the time at Ngala to be a period of respite that is rejuvenating for them, and also an opportunity to share with other parents experiencing similar challenges. Unfortunately via the forum I am not able to access information regarding your file. There is usually a lengthy waiting period of several months for overnight stay, however, cancellations do come up some of the time and it is possible to ask to be considered for an earlier admission if another cancellation becomes available. To discuss this with the relevant people, please ring Ngala on a Monday - Friday and outline your situation regarding the waiting list to the person answering the phone. They will then be able to direct your phone call to the relevant section for you to discuss your needs with them. Ngala operates on a callback system so it is best to ring at a time when you know you will be remaining at home for the next several hours to receive your callback.

I hope that your upcoming Ngala stay is helpful for you. Parenting two young children is stressful and overwhelming for many parents, but you are doing the right thing by seeking out support and assistance.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online http://www.ngala.com.au/Ngala-and-You/Ngala-Helpline/Contact-Ngala-Helpline-Online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
http://www.ngala.com.au/You-and-Your-Family/Web-Based-Resources
NgalaOnline

Return to Parent Health & Wellbeing